Not sure I'll be helpful, but I ran into something similar yesterday.  Not
exactly sure how I fixed it, but this is what I believe.

1) You should create a virgin data directory per the standard procedures on
the production machine (install_db and safe_mysqld).

2) Then, if you have existing data, copy over the existing data directory.