utf8 : utf8_general_ci                O=o=Ò=Ó=Ô=Õ=Ö=ò=ó=ô=õ=ö    oe      oz
utf8 : utf8_general_mysql500_ci       O=o=Ò=Ó=Ô=Õ=Ö=ò=ó=ô=õ=ö    oe      oz
utf8 : utf8_danish_ci                 O=o=º=Ò=Ó=Ô=Õ=ò=ó=ô=õ      oe=Œ=œ  oz
utf8 : utf8_swedish_ci                O=o=º=Ò=Ó=Ô=Õ=ò=ó=ô=õ      oe=Œ=œ  oz
utf8 : utf8_estonian_ci               O=o=º=Ò=Ó=Ô=ò=ó=ô          oe=Œ=œ  oz
  Ø=ø
utf8 : utf8_unicode_ci                O=o=º=Ò=Ó=Ô=Õ=Ö=ò=ó=ô=õ=ö  oe=Œ=œ  oz
  Ø=ø
utf8 : utf8_polish_ci                 O=o=º=Ò=Ô=Õ=Ö=ò=ô=õ=ö      oe=Œ=œ  oz
Ó=ó  Ø=ø
utf8 : utf8_spanish_ci                O=o=º=Ò=Ó=Ô=Õ=Ö=ò=ó=ô=õ=ö  oe=Œ=œ  oz
  Ø=ø
utf8 : utf8_spanish2_ci               O=o=º=Ò=Ó=Ô=Õ=Ö=ò=ó=ô=õ=ö  oe=Œ=œ  oz
  Ø=ø

As I understand it, the oe ligature collates as it it were the two letters "oe"
for most utf8 collations.  However for utf8_general*, it collates after Z:

utf8_general_ci            X=x  Y=y=Ý=ý=ÿ=Ÿ  yz  Z=z=Ž=ž  zh  zz  Æ=æ  Ð=ð  Ø=ø
 Þ=þ     Ł=ł  Œ=œ  ƒ  LJ=Lj=lj
utf8_general_mysql500_ci   X=x  Y=y=Ý=ý=ÿ=Ÿ  yz  Z=z=Ž=ž  zh  zz  Æ=æ  Ð=ð  Ø=ø
 Þ=þ  ß  Ł=ł  Œ=œ  ƒ  LJ=Lj=lj

Is this what you mean by "barfs"?