If the subquery-version is not too slow, live with it.

If necessary, make your non-grouped SELECT a subquery and apply GROUP BY
outside.  Thus:

SELECT ... FROM ( SELECT non-grouped... ) GROUP BY ...

Could you provide that; we might be able to simplify it.
Also provide SHOW CREATE TABLE for each table.
How many rows in each table?  (approx)