Not sure how the .sql backup file would have done that, but it seems to be working now. I'll just step away slowly and carry on. Thanks for the help!

On 10/25/2012 2:45 AM, Nitin Mehta wrote:
Hi Tim,

It looks like your '.sql backup file' has changed the password for root user
and why it is persisting is perhaps you have data directory outside the install
directory.

How you correct the problem:

Stop the service, start the service with option '--skip-grant-tables', login
with root user and change the password from inside mysql.

Hope that helps.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Thorburn [mailto:webmas...@athydro.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2012 12:08 PM
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: MySQL password issue

Hi All,

Today I ran into an interesting problem with my MySQL installation.
I'll start off with the usual suspects: this is my development laptop running
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit this is a fresh install, fully updated from Windows
Update.  I downloaded the Windows Installer version of MySQL which is MySQL
5.5.28 Community Server.  I ran the setup choosing Developer install, made a
root password, then created two users for Backup and Replication.

The install completed successfully, and I was able to start MySQL Workbench
logging in as root once.  I made a user in Server Administration and then
imported a .sql backup file.  I then went to SQL Development to review the
result of the restore.  I wasn't able to view the imported tables, Workbench
seemed stuck on Retrieving Tables.  This database is driving a website I'm
working on, and I was able to load the site in a browser on my laptop - again
once.

Next, I went to add another user, and then tried to import another .sql backup
file.  This time, when I clicked Start Import, Workbench prompted me to enter
my root password again.  Odd I thought, as I'd originally told Workbench to
save the password in its vault.  Unfortunately, Workbench won't accept the root
password.  I receive the following message in a popup window:

Cannot Connect to Database Server
Your connection attempt failed for user 'root' from your host to server at
localhost:3306:
Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

The MySQL Service is still running, I've tried stopping, starting, and just
restarting the service.  I've tried rebooting.  All with the same result.  What
could have happened to this install to make MySQL no longer accept my password?
 I have already tried uninstalling via the MySQL Installer, confirming that
C:\ProgramData\MySQL was removed, and then shutting Windows down completely
before trying to re-install.  The same result happens - I'm able to log in
once, then several minutes later it will no longer accept a password.  This is
a fresh install again, so there's not a lot of pain in uninstalling and
reinstalling.

Any thoughts on why this is happening, or more importantly, how to correct the
problem?

TIA,
-Tim