On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 1:47 PM, Tianyin Xu <t...@cs.ucsd.edu> wrote:

> Hi, Larry,
>
> Thanks a lot for the reply!
>

> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 1:27 PM, Larry Martell <larry.mart...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 2:11 PM, Tianyin Xu <t...@cs.ucsd.edu> wrote:
>> > Hi, guys,
>> >
>> > I'm new to MySQL. I installed MySQL step-by-step according to the manual
>> > from source code. The version is mysql-5.5.28.
>> >
>> > When I start the server using:
>> > #bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql
>> >
>> > The server failed to start with the following message in the log
>> (attached
>> > below).
>> >
>> > There're two problems according to the log messages:
>> >
>> > 1.
>> >
>> > 121112 13:00:59 [ERROR] Can't read from messagefile
>> > '/usr/local/mysql/data/errmsg.sys
>> >
>> > I'm confused because I do have this file which is owned by user "mysql":
>> >
>> > #ll /usr/local/mysql/data/errmsg.sys
>> > -rw-r--r-- 1 mysql mysql 0 Nov 12 12:35 /usr/local/mysql/data/errmsg.sys
>>
>> Check the permissions of all the dirs in that path: /usr, /usr/local,
>> /usr/local/mysql, /usr/local/mysql/data. The mysql user will need r-x
>> access to all of them.
>>

> I already did so. It's weird... From the log, it seems that mysqld
> encountered some problem when reading the messagefile. But the file does
> exist with permission.
>

>> > 2.
>> >
>> > 121112 13:00:59 [ERROR] An old style --language value with language
>> > specific part detected: /usr/local/mysql/data/
>> >
>> > I commented the "lc-messages-dir" configuration entry in the my.cnf, but
>> > the error still exists...
>>
>> Don't know what platform you're on, but on my Mac I had this issue,
>> and I got around it by starting the server with:
>>
>> --lc-messages-dir="/usr/local/mysql/share/"
>>

> I'm working on Ubuntu-12.04. Yes, the configuration parameter is set as
> /usr/local/mysql/data/ (see the error message). I tried your setting but
> this time mysqld tells me
>
> 121112 13:46:28 [ERROR] bin/mysqld: unknown variable
> 'lc-message-dir=/usr/local/mysql/share/'
> 121112 13:46:28 [ERROR] Aborting
>
> What a mess...

Oh, the above error message is caused by my typo.

Yes, I set --lc-messages-dir="/usr/local/mysql/share/", and everything's
ok...
The latter error message (i.e., messagefile) is the chain reaction caused
by the previous one (lc-messages-dir) which confused me.

Thanks a lot, Larry!

Tianyin

--
Tianyin XU,