Hello,

Well, you have just invented what is known as index organized tables.   The
MyISAM engine does not implement those.
If it did, it would have to deal with quite a few circumstances unique to IOTs.
   One such circumstance is degradation
of efficiency with the increase of record length, another is bloating the size
of secondary indexes, and there is quite a few more...

In short, the alternative to keeping the MYD file would be much worse :-)

Peace
Karen.