Database performance (like system performance) is always driven by a give and take process, a trade-off between resources (this includes design expertise) available, and the required results.

How many records are you dealing with?
How often are records are being added and/or updated?
How many users will be running queries simultaneously, number of readonly, and number of updates and inserts?

If only a handful of users, and less than 100,000 records, that rarely change, then you'll probably never have performance problems.

However, it you have 100,000 users running queries simultaneously, and changing records regularly, then you may have some issues to address. Their are literally hundreds of solutions to performance problems, and the right solutions will depend on your particular requirements.

Security, is much the same, dependent on the security requirements.
Example:
Security auditors claimed that the marketing product database was not secure.
They said that it needed to be more secure.
The CEO of the company asked a simple question, he said:
"Whats the worst that could happen if an outsider gains access to this database?"
Answer: "They might buy one of your products!"
Lesson learned: Don't waste your time securing data that doesn't need to be secured.

So, what are your requirements?