>>>> 2013/02/05 17:06 +0000, Rick James >>>>
As a Rule of Thumb, function evaluation time is not significant to the overall
time for running a query.  (I see IF and CASE as 'functions' for this
discussion.)

Do you have evidence that says that IF is slower?  Perhaps using BENCHMARK()?
<<<<<<<<
Not BENCHMARK: I did a query with one, and also with the other, and repeated
each at least a dozen times, and looked at the reported time. The IF-variant
took ever so slightly more time than the CASE-variant.

But which of the arguments are always evaluated, which only at need? This could
be a difference, that IF s arguments always are, CASE s only at need.