Not a solution but a workaround for " [ERROR] /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld:
Can't create/write to file '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid' "

explicitly set

pid_file=

to some existing file path in

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe  (Line:26)

e.g. you could possibly set it to:

pid_file=/usr/local/mysql/data/larry.local.pid

- Kapil Karekar