Memory leaks are unlikely, but possible.  Upgrade to a newer version.

Killing threads that say "Sleep" _may_ free up some memory, but unlikely to be
more than even 1MB each.  It _may_ cause grief for the developers, if they
haven't bulletproofed their code enough to handle "lost connection".  Mostly
that frees up
>thread_stack            = 192K

Once you have followed the advice in
  http://mysql.rjweb.org/doc.php/memory
there is not much more that an "infrastructure guy" can do.  I have roots in
many sides of this issue.  Once I have tuned a system, I turn to the queries,
schema, overall architecture, etc.

Some caches act like there is a memory leak.  What happens is that they grow as
needed, up to some specified limit.  This is especially visible for
key_buffer_size.

Query_cache_size = 256M may be hurting performance; I recommend no more than
50M.  (The link explains.)

Until the system starts swapping, there should be no problem with the growing
memory usage.  At that point, performance will tank.  The quick fix is to
decrease innodb_buffer_pool_size and/or key_buffer_size.

If you provide SHOW GLOBAL STATUS and SHOW VARIABLES, I can look for other
issues.