Hi Neil,

 If you use MySQL Cluster then you have synchronous replication between the 2
data nodes which means that if one should fail you're guaranteed that the other
contains the effects of every committed transaction and that the change has
already been applied and so there is no delay while relay logs are applied
before the automatic failover kicks in - which is why it can take less than a
second.

 You also have a good scale-out story with MySQL Cluster as you can just
continue to add more nodes (256 in total, 48 of which can be data nodes) withou
having to worry about partitioning, failover etc.

Regards, Andrew.