Oracle fails the context by make incompatible ABI changes
which are *expected* by raise the minor release number
but claim they are compatible until it is clear that
random things are broken and the soname needs to be
changed what leaves the question: was the QA at holiday
due the whole development cycle?

* MySQL 5.5.8 was the GA release
* MySQL 5.5.10 changed the soname
* *wow* the same happens now again with 5.6?
* this leaded in mass-rebuilds for linux-distributions after GA
* maybe one of the reasons why Oracle MySQL get dropped everywhere
  and replaced by MariaDB and instead to accept the fact as example
  in Fedora Oracle stepped in and make things more complicated
  by try to figure out how both forks can be in the distribution
  instead doing a clean cut

everybody but Oracle knows when you need to raise the so-number
to make sure any package-managment prevents the enduser to end
in incompatible linked applications, if the so-number would be
raised RPM would *not allow* to install the new client library
until all depending packages are rebuilt and if something like
the 5.5.10 breakage happens more than once i claim someone
to be learning resistent

--

Reindl Harald
the lounge interactive design GmbH