----- Original Message -----
> From: "Rick James" <rja...@yahoo-inc.com>
> Subject: RE: Mysql server - which filesystem to choose? Is it really that
> important nowadays?
>
> ext does less well with simultaneous IOPs than xfs.

Possibly, but how much less (and which ext)? Without numbers that's not very
helpful :-)

I think that the underlying FS is only a major concern in setups where the load
is explicitly I/O-bound - that is to say, where the active dataset is
significantly larger than the available memory. I do not think the majority of
installations match that description.