From: Daevid Vincent [mailto:dae...@daevid.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2013 3:56 PM
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Bug in BETWEEN same DATETIME

I just noticed what I consider to be a bug; and related, has this been
fixed
in later versions of MySQL?

We are using:
mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.92, for portbld-freebsd8.1 (amd64) using
5.2

If you use BETWEEN and the same date for both parts (i.e. you want a
single
day) it appears that the operator isn't smart enough to consider the
full
day in the cases where the column is a DATETIME

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/comparison-operators.html#operato
r_be
tween

WHERE `transaction_date` BETWEEN '2013-04-16' AND '2013-04-16'

I actually have to format it like this to get results

WHERE `transaction_date` BETWEEN '2013-04-16 00:00:00' AND '2013-04-16
11:59:59'

As it appears that in the first instance it defaults the time to
00:00:00
always, as verified by this:

WHERE `transaction_date` BETWEEN '2013-04-16' AND '2013-04-16 11:59:59'

So,  I think it's probably safe to assume that if someone is using the
BETWEEN on datetime columns, their intent more often than not is to get
the
full 24 hour period, not the 0 seconds it currently pulls by default.

I also tried these hacks as per the web page above, but this doesn't
yield
results either

WHERE `transaction_date` BETWEEN CAST('2013-04-16' AS DATE) AND
CAST('2013-04-16' AS DATE)
WHERE `transaction_date` BETWEEN CAST('2013-04-16' AS DATETIME) AND
CAST('2013-04-16' AS DATETIME)

This one works, but I fail to see how it's any more beneficial than
using a
string without the CAST() overhead?

WHERE `transaction_date` BETWEEN CAST('2013-04-16 00:00:00' AS DATETIME)
AND
CAST('2013-04-16 11:59:59' AS DATETIME)

Or is there some other magical incantation that is supposed to be used
(without me manually appending the time portion)?