On 30-05-2013 09:27, Neil Tompkins wrote:
Hi,

I've created a Audit table which tracks any changed fields for multiple
tables.  In my Audit table I'm using a UUID for the primary key.  However I
need to have a reference back to the primary key(s) of the table audited.

At the moment I've a VARCHAR field which stores primary keys like

1
1|2013-05-29
2|2013-05-29
2
3
1|2|2
etc

Is this the best approach, or should I have a individual field in the audit
table for all primary keys.  At the moment I think the max number of
primary keys on any given table is 3

Thanks
Neil

First you need to ask yourself how you expect to use the table in the future. Will you be looking up the data on a regular basis? Or will lookups only be something you will do in exceptional situtions?

What is the intended goal of having a UUID for the primary key rather than, say, an integer - or having no PK at all?

My immediate thought when reading this was "why even store that data in a table?" - if it's a simple log, use a log file. Especially if you don't know how you intend to search for data later on. There are many tools that are far superior to SQL when it comes to searching for text strings. You could even consider having a CSV table, which will give you an SQL interface to said text file.

/ Carsten