On 24/06/13 19:57, Reindl Harald wrote:

Am 24.06.2013 18:47, schrieb Johan De Meersman:
----- Original Message -----
From: "nixofortune" <nixofort...@gmail.com>

Hi guys,
any suggestions? I just repaired 90G MyISAM table with REPAIR TABLE
command. the space on the hard drive gone down from 165 Gig to 70
Gig. I understand that during repair process MySQL creates temp file and
remove it after the job done.  Or removal process executes on the server
restart? how can I get that space back? I can't check the table
directory as I don't have root perm on that box.
Oops... Can you run [show global variables like 'innodb_file_per_table';] ?

I kind of expect it to be OFF, which means that the temp table would have been
created in the main tablespace. If that's the case, that space has been
permanently assimilated by the global tablespace; the only way to get it back
would be a full dump of all your (innodb) tables, stop server, delete
tablespace, start server and import the data again. Be sure to read the
documentation carefully before doing such an intrusive operation.
While you're doing that, use the opportunity to set innodb_file_per_table to ON
:-p
he spoke about MYISAM table

the space on the hard drive gone down from 165 Gig to 70 Gig
how can I get that space back?
I can't check the table directory as I don't have root perm
well, someone should look at the dadadir and error-log
it is not uncommon that a repair to such large tables
fails due too small "myisam_sort_buffer_size" and i
suspect the operation failed and some temp file is
laying around

Thanks Reindl, It looks like Repair operation completed successfully. Overall it took 2Hours to complete with OK massage and some other message related to the index size. Repair process went through Repair by sort. myisam_sort_buffer_size = 526M. Provider runs MySQL on FreeBSD + ZFS file system. Could it be up to snapshots as well? I will ask them to look inside of datadir as we migrated this DB from Solaris just day before. This is a new DB for me and I never worked with MyISAM tables of that size.