Hello Larry,

On 7/3/2013 11:27 AM, Larry Martell wrote:
We recently changed from in memory files to InnoDB files. Today we
noticed that in every server's data dir there is file called '1' that
seems to get updated every time the iddata1 file gets updated. On some
servers it's comparable in size to the iddata1 file, on other servers
it's 10-15x larger, and on others it's 1/2 the size. What is this
file. Googling revealed nothing about this.

That is not something an official MySQL build would do. Consult with the person (or group) that compiled your binaries.

Now, if you have enabled --innodb-file-per-table and if you have named your table '1' then that file is probably '1.ibd'. That would be expected. But that seems unlikely based on your other details.

Did you also enable a separate undo log, perhaps? Although if you had, it should be 'undo1' not just '1'
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/innodb-parameters.html#sysvar_innodb_undo_tablespaces

So, that simple '1' file also seems unusual to me.

--
Shawn Green
Office: Blountville, TN