"Count the disk hits"

If you have a filesystem directory, consider that it is designed to handle
small numbers of files per directory.  Consider that there is a limited cache
for directories, etc.  Plus there is the inode (vnode, whatever) storage for
each file.  I don't know the details (and it varies wildly with "filesystem"
(ext, xfs, zfs, etc)).

Looking at InnoDB...

Let's say you have a billion rows in a single table, and you need to fetch one
row by the PRIMARY KEY, and it is a MD5 (sha-1, UUID, etc).  Such a key is
_very_ random.

A billion rows would need about 5 levels of BTree.  The top levels would
quickly all be cached.  (100M blocks * 16KB = 1.6GB.)  If the leaf nodes add up
to 200GB, that is probably bigger than you innodb_buffer_pool_size.  In that
case, a _random_ fetch is likely to be a cache miss.

A cache miss is about 100ms on normal rotating-media; perhaps 10ms on SSDs.
This limits your reads to 10 (or 100) per second.

If you have big BLOBs in the table, then it gets messier.  InnoDB does not put
more than 8K of a row in the actual 16KB block.  The rest is stored in another
block(s).  So, it is likely to take an extra disk hit (200ms/20ms).

If your data size is 100 times as big as your buffer pool, then it becomes
likely that the next level of the BTree won't be fully cacheable.  Now
300ms/30ms.

I think it is likely that the small number of disk hits for InnoDB is better
than the many disk hits for traversing a directory tree (with large
directories) in the filesystem.  I vote for InnoDB over the directory tree.

Yes, you will have seeks.

No, adding more RAM won't help much.  Here's an argument:
Suppose your data is 20 times as big as the buffer pool and you are doing
random fetches (MD5, etc).  Then 1/20 of fetches are cached; 95% cache miss.
Estimated time: 0.95 * 100ms = 95ms.
Now you double your RAM.  1/10 cached -> 90% cache miss -> 90ms average -> Not
much improvement over 95.