Forwarding my reply here, as it might be interesting to other people too.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: libmysqlclient so version
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 14:10:28 +0200
From: rafal somla <rafal.so...@oracle.com>
To: Sebastien FLAESCH <s...@4js.com>

Hello Sebastien,

Thank you for your interest in our latest MySQL server release.

On 07/31/2013 01:03 PM, Sunanda Menon wrote:
      * The C API libmysqlclient shared-library .so files now have
        version 18.1.0 (up from version 18.0.0 used in MySQL 5.5).
        (Bug #16809055)

What impact has this change regarding backward compatibility with
existing C programs linked to older 5.6 libmysqlclient.so libs and
what is the general policy regarding the backward compatibility for
this library - where can we find clear statements in the doc?

Does it make sense to change the .so version in a bug fix release,
when the 5.6 was already releases as GA?

We are providing database drivers for MySQL in our development tool.
We have a C shared library linked to libmysqlclient.so, and we have
to link it with the correct 5.6 library version.
What solution would you recommend, if you change the .so version
number in MySQL 5.6 upgrade / bug fix releases?

Although we changed the minor library version in 5.6.13, it should be
fully backward compatible with previous versions and code using the
library should work without any problems. In particular, any code which
links against libmysqlclient.so depends on libmysqlclient.so.18 (note
that the minor version number is not present in the soname). Version
18.1.0 of the library installs with a symbolic link libmysqlclient.so.18
-> libmysqlclient.so.18.1.0. Thus we expect all applications to work as
before after upgrading to MySQL 5.6.13.

Please let us know if it does not work for you.

With Best Regards,

Rafal Somla,
Senior Software Developer @ MySQL/Oracle