This mysql newbie is having trouble connecting to a mysqld instance, hoping someone can offer a clue on troubleshooting.

I have 2 mysql 5.0.45 installations on one RHEL server. One live mysqld is setup in what appears to be a relatively standard installation, port 3306, user 'mysql', etc. I've set up the other mysqld to run tests on a non-standard port 5045, user 'testsql', different data root, config, logs, etc.

When I attempt to connect to the mysqld running on port 5045 from the command-line mysql client on the same host as follows ...

    # mysql -P 5045

... it seems I'm actually connecting to the live server on 3306 because 'show databases' shows the live databases. How can I troubleshoot this best?

Thanks.