We had a similar issue a bit back - and although it sounds similar - based
on your followups it probably isnt, but will just toss this out there
anyhows.  We were experiencing connection timeouts when load would ramp up.
 Doing some digging we learned that our firewall between the servers
bandwidth would get consumed by a large wordpress load - and this in
essence backed up the rest of the requests until they timed out.

We fixed that load issue which reduced the data passing through and have
expereinced a significant performance boost in our app let alone reduction
of these timeout issues