Hello all-

I have a question on searching via fulltext.

I have the following SQL statement:

        var('SQLResultsID') = 'select *, MATCH
(product_id,product_name,product_desc) AGAINST("' + $sqlKeywordSearch + '") AS
SCORE from products WHERE MATCH (product_id,product_name,product_desc)
AGAINST("' + $sqlKeywordSearchB + '" IN BOOLEAN MODE) AND active NOT LIKE
"%no%" ORDER BY score DESC

First off, the variable $sqlKeywordSearch contains the search keywords
separated by spaces.  The second variable, $sqlKeywordSearchB, has keywords
separated by spaces but also adds a “+" sign to the beginning of each keyword
to do the Boolean search and match all the keywords in the search.

question #1 - Is this the best way to do a boolean search but also return a
usable “score”?  The search is doing what I expect it to do so no problem there.

Here’s my main question: I want to be able to “boost" the rankings(score) of
the results based on the fields.  Anything that matches on the product_id field
I would like to get a higher ranking, then the product_name field next, then
the product_desc last (obviously, if something matches in the product_id field
it is of greater importance than if it matches in the product_description
field).  I know I can boost, or "adjust", the score to the keywords if I want
but is there a way to add to the search score rankings based on the field
searched?

as always, Thank everyone for any help!

James

James Sheffer          j...@higherpowered.com