Hi Jørn,
But I must say I'm not very impressed by the speed. I'm running a test on an
application that do a lot of reads and writes queries and the general
performance has dropped to 50% of the what I had in 5.5.20.

I would say that this sort of performance drop is not typical. Some users have reported a smaller performance loss in single threaded workloads in 5.6.

It's possible to redeem some of this performance loss by tuning Performance Schema, with the caveat that you will lose some visibility into diagnostics:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/performance-schema-startup-configuration.html

It's not clear from your description if the test is run in parallel-threads, but this is something you may want to research.

May I also suggest commenting out/assuming some defaults for some of your config settings. 5.6 has much better defaults, and it is always better to 'maintain less customization' yourself:

key_buffer_size = 384M
table_open_cache = 512
sort_buffer_size = 2M
read_buffer_size = 2M
read_rnd_buffer_size = 8M
myisam_sort_buffer_size = 64M
thread_cache_size = 8
query_cache_size = 32M
thread_concurrency = 14

I also don't typically recommend these settings, but there will be some cases when they are warranted:

> innodb_thread_concurrency       = 14
> innodb_support_xa               = 0
> innodb_fast_shutdown            = 0

- Morgan