* h...@tbbs.net <h...@tbbs.net> [140407 23:09]:
>   2)mysqldump forces all database names to lower case in the "CREATE
>   DATABASE" statement. I know, one shouldn't use upper case in
>   database names, but :) tell that to my clients.
> <<<<<<<<
> Why not? That is not mentioned in the section devoted to mapping such names
> to the file-system.
  I found 'official' documentation here regarding Mac OS X:
  https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/identifier-case-sensitivity.html

  I had also found some reference to this having been a side effect
  of migrating files from older macs (of which I am not familiar)
  filesystems.

  I don't find any reference in the mysqldump documentation at
  https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mysqldump.html to any
  mechanism for overriding this.

  The incompatibility kicks in when trying to restore the databases
  on linux - and I presume FreeBSD, sun OS and other posix systems
  would show the same problem.

  Live and learn ...
--
Tim