As far as I know, the only way this is possible is if your entire
database is formatted as MyISAM.  In that case, multiple MySQL
processes, each started with external-locking enabled, may safely
share a data folder.  The contention will almost certainly kill you as
far as performance goes..   and if you are thinking of trying this
using NFS mounted files or Samba, all bets are off as file locks
can/will/do NOT work leading to inevitable bad race conditions..

You might explore this for some details.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/external-locking.html

In short, it's a bad, bad idea.

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Bruce Ferrell <bferr...@baywinds.org> wrote:
> OK, put away the flamethrowers, I KNOW it's dumb.
>
> I've been asked for the upteenth time is this possible and if so under what
> conditions?
>
> So I pose the question to the community, is it? Under what conditions?  Is
> it reliable or not?
>
> Are there authoritative references to support the answers?
>
> Inquiring minds want to know
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Bruce Ferrell
>

> --