Replication novice

I have a master server at the office and a replication server at home. This setup has been working for a couple of years. Occasionally the replication server gets out of sync (usually following a internet problem and the vpn going down.) I just stop the slave, make sure there is nothing going to the master (when the office is closed),
copy the database,
transfer the file,
load the backup, and
start the slave and all is well.

This time there was not a communications problem of which I am aware. The slave status said the slave_IO_state was "Waiting for master to send event" but it was not replicating.

I did the usual

now it is not updating the replication database (transactions made on the master do not show on the slave - using phpMyAdmin on both servers) BUT show master status shows the correct log file and the position is incrementing AND show slave status shows the same master log file and the same position as the master. So, looking at the status info it seems to be running fine, but the transactions do not appear to appear on the slave.

I seek suggestions how to 1) find out what goes wrong when the vpn goes down, and 2) (much more important now) how to find out whether or not the slave is actually replicating or not.

--bill