Looking at the docs:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/create-table-foreign-keys.html

how do I alter the child table, links, so that it has a foreign key with
the parent table, feeds?

The feed_id field in links should, in fact, be constrained by the foreign
key of feeds with a RESTRICT reference option.

mysql>
mysql> show tables;
+---------------------------+
| Tables_in_rome_aggregator |
+---------------------------+
| feeds                     |
| links                     |
| pages                     |
+---------------------------+
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql>
mysql> describe feeds;
+----------+--------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| Field    | Type         | Null | Key | Default | Extra          |
+----------+--------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| id       | int(11)      | NO   | PRI | NULL    | auto_increment |
| created  | datetime     | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| accessed | varchar(45)  | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| url      | varchar(767) | NO   | UNI | NULL    |                |
| status   | int(11)      | NO   |     | 0       |                |
+----------+--------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
5 rows in set (0.05 sec)

mysql>
mysql> describe links;
+---------+--------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| Field   | Type         | Null | Key | Default | Extra          |
+---------+--------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| id      | int(11)      | NO   | PRI | NULL    | auto_increment |
| created | datetime     | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| feed_id | int(11)      | NO   |     | 0       |                |
| link    | varchar(767) | NO   | UNI | NULL    |                |
| status  | int(11)      | NO   |     | 0       |                |
5 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql>

While I know that I should alter the table, I don't know the syntax to
establish the foreign key constraint.

thanks,

Thufir