...it sounds to me like you're trying to figure out the small things when
there's probably an elephant standing around somewhere :-)

You can quickly see if your network is troublesome using:
 * traceroute
 * ping
 * network copy (ssh/nfs/samba/whatever) of a large file

Usually, however, it's not the network :-)

Open up a console on your server and run dstat, see what resources are being
taxed. Turn on the slowlog at 1s (or even 0s) and use pt-query-digest to figure
out what queries are slow. Profile your application to see which bit takes
longest to execute.