Suppose I run a query which has a syntax error:

mysql> blah;
ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'blah' at line 1

How can I get mysql server to log this error?

According to the documentation:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/server-logs.html

- "Error log" - will only log mysqld errors - so, it won't log syntax errors in the query - "General query log" - it will log all queries, but without indicating if it was an error or not

Is there a way to log query syntax errors on the server? Please assume that connection and the query can be coming from PHP, perl etc. code, so any "/usr/bin/mysql" stderr output redirecting is not helping here.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org