Found the problem here, someone had created on insert and on update
triggers on this table that were interferring with the process.

This logic works wonderfully when you need sequence numbers that are also
transaction safe. The key is you need a unique index on all the columns
involved.

I think myisam tables support a multi colum auto increment primary key.
This works the same when you need the same in innodb.