Data directory path mention in cnf is of old mysql.

Make a fresh data directory, configure it in configuration file and execute
mysqlinstall_db,

I don't understand the sentence about the data directory path mention.  The
my.cnf file is at /etc/my.cnf . It doesn't have any data directory path
mention, but neither does the my.cnf file on a laptop, which works. So there
seems to be nothing wrong with the location or content of the my.cnf file.

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 5:11 AM, Martin Mueller