On Fri, Jan 1, 2016 at 9:31 PM, Peter Brawley
<peter.braw...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 1/1/2016 19:24, Larry Martell wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 1, 2016 at 2:12 PM, Peter Brawley
>> <peter.braw...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>> If I've understand this correctly, the resultset you wish to aggregate on
>>> is
>>>
>>> select target_name_id, ep, wafer_id
>>> from cst_rollup a
>>> left join (               -- exclude rows for which wafer_id count >= 50
>>>    select name_id, ep, wafer, count(*) n
>>>    from cst_rollup
>>>    group by target_name_id, ep, wafer_id
>>>    having n >= 50
>>> ) b using ( target_name_id, ep, wafer_id )
>>> where b.target_name is null ;
>>>
>>> If that's so, you could assemble that resultset in a temp table then run
>>> the
>>> desired aggregate query on it, or you could aggregate on it directly as a
>>> subquery.
>>
>> That query gives:
>>
>> ERROR 1137 (HY000): Can't reopen table: 'a'
>

> So, it's a temporary table, and you'll need to make that not so.

Yes, cst_rollup is a temp table. The underlying table is millions of
rows (with 300 columns) so for efficiency a subset of the rows and
columns are selected into the temp table based on some user input.
It's just the rows in the temp table that are of interest for the
current report.

I was able to get this working with a second temp table:

CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE rollup_exclude
SELECT target_name_id, ep, wafer_id, count(*) n
FROM cst_rollup
GROUP BY target_name_id, ep, wafer_id
HAVING n >= 50

And then:

SELECT count(*)
FROM cst_rollup
LEFT JOIN(
    SELECT target_name_id, ep, wafer_id
    FROM rollup_exclude) b
    USING (target_name_id, ep, wafer_id)
WHERE b.target_name_id IS NULL
GROUP by target_name_id, ep, roiname, recipe_process, recipe_product,
recipe_layer, f_tag_bottom, measname, recipe_id

And the rowcount from that query gave me what I needed.

Thanks very much for the help Peter, you gave me a push toward the right path.