Hi all. I recently downloaded the source distribution of MySQL version 3.23.39
and am trying to compile it so that it installs it's files in the same manner
as the binary RPM version does. Does anyone have an idea what the prefix
directory and datadir directories are supposed to be set to? I'm running on Red
Hat 7.0 and I want to compile from the source to try and get a MySQL optimized
for my PC. The binary RPM installs the executables into /usr/bin and /usr/sbin,
its libraries into /usr/lib, and its databases into /var/lib/mysql. According
to the INSTALL-SOURCE file that comes with the source dist., you're supposed to
be able to set the various locations for the files, but I can't seem to figure
out how to set the database files location. I want to keep them in
/var/lib/mysql, as I have that mounted on a large partition specifically
designated for my database, and I really don't want to have to reinstall my
system, just to relocate that partition onto /usr/var or whatever the default
option happens to be.

Thanks in advance,
--Bill

--