I am using two versions of MySQL, on two different platforms, and having the
same problem on both.  One very odd aspect of this problem is that it behaves
precisely the same way on both platforms, down to which records are garbled
onscreen and how they are garbled.  Anyone with any ideas?   Thanks in advance

Platforms:

RedHat Linux 6.1   MySQL Ver. 3.23.28gamma  (locally compiled)
FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE MySQL Ver. 3.22.32

Problem:  when I use the following query, I get garbled data in the MySQL
command line client:

select zip, city, county from zipcodes where zip between 68400 and 68500;

here is a portion of the garbled output:

 |68442 | STELLA           | RICHARDSON
    |43 | STERLING         | JOHNSON
   |444 | STRANG           | FILLMORE
     |5 | SWANTON          | SALINE
       || SYRACUSE         | OTOE
     |7 | TABLE ROCK       | PAWNEE
       || TALMAGE          | OTOE
    |50 | TECUMSEH         | JOHNSON
       || ONG              | CLAY
     |3 | TOBIAS           | SALINE
       || UNADILLA         | OTOE
       || UNION            | CASS
     |6 | UTICA            | SEWARD
 |68457 | VERDON           | RICHARDSON
       || VIRGINIA         | GAGE
       || WACO             | YORK
  |8461 | WALTON           | LANCASTER
  |8462 | WAVERLY          | LANCASTER
       || WEEPING WATER    | CASS
     |4 | WESTERN          | SALINE
     |5 | WILBER           | SALINE
       || WYMORE           | GAGE
       || YORK             | YORK
+-------+------------------+-------------+

BUT, if I use:  select zip, city, county from zipcodes where zip = 68465;  <for
example>  I get:

 |68465 | WILBER | SALINE

  This holds for any specific zipcode in the database.  There is one range,
68500 through 58600 which
display correctly.  Oddly enough, that is the range for the city I am in.

   The zipcodes database looks like this:

mysql> desc zipcodes;
+-----------+------------+------+-----+---------+-------+---------------------------------+
| Field     | Type       | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
Privileges                      |
+-----------+------------+------+-----+---------+-------+---------------------------------+
| zip       | int(11)    |      | PRI | 0       |       |
select,insert,update,references |
| latitude  | float(7,4) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
select,insert,update,references |
| longitude | float(8,4) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
select,insert,update,references |
| city      | text       | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
select,insert,update,references |
| state     | text       | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
select,insert,update,references |
| county    | text       | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
select,insert,update,references |
6 rows in set (0.00 sec)

  This is a commercial database product named ZipPLUS.

   I also tried this:

mysql> check table zipcodes;
| Table          | Op    | Msg_type | Msg_text |
| build.zipcodes | check | status   | OK       |