On 5/14/2016 2:57 PM, Peter Brawley wrote:
On 5/14/2016 11:16, shawn l.green wrote:
Hello Sukhjinder,

On 5/3/2016 8:55 AM, Sukhjinder K. Narula wrote:
Hello,

i have a question regarding the GREATEST function of mysql.

I would like to add the values returned by GREATEST function is
mysql, so a
query is like below:

For example table t has 6 fields with values as follows: A = 1, B =
3, C=0,
D = 0, E = 1 and F = 0 and I run a query:

SELECT
GREATEST (A, B, C) AS G1,
GREATEST (D, E, F) AS G2,
(
GREATEST (A, B, C) + GREATEST(D, E, F)

) AS Total
FROM t

The result row I expect is: 3, 1, 4
But I get 3, 1, 6

However when I run the query like below I get correct results as total
being 4:

SELECT
(
GREATEST (1, 3, 0) + GREATEST(0,1,0)

) AS Total

So what I noticed is as I add result from GREATEST function, the
result is
adding 1 for each GREATEST call I have in total. So, if I change my
query
as below:

SELECT
GREATEST (A, B, C) AS G1,
GREATEST (D, E, F) AS G2,
(
GREATEST (A, B, C) + GREATEST(D, E, F) + GREATEST(D, E, F)

) AS Total
FROM t

The results will be 3, 1, 8

GREATEST (A, B, C) + GREATEST(D, E, F) + GREATEST(D, E, F) is
calculated as

GREATEST (A, B, C)  = 3 + 1
GREATEST(D, E, F) = 1 +1
GREATEST(D, E, F) = 1 +1

So the total is 8.

I have tried online to search for this type of behaviour but no luck.
Can
anyone please explain this.

Many Thanks,
SK

I attempted to reproduce this problem but was unable to do so.
(testing with 5.7.11)

localhost.test>SELECT @@version;
| @@version                             |
| 5.7.11-enterprise-commercial-advanced |

localhost.(none)>select greatest(1,3,0), greatest(0,1,0),
greatest(1,3,0)+ greatest(0,1,0) as total
    -> ;
+-----------------+-----------------+-------+
| greatest(1,3,0) | greatest(0,1,0) | total |
+-----------------+-----------------+-------+
|               3 |               1 |     4 |
+-----------------+-----------------+-------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

localhost.(none)>set @A = 1, @B = 3, @C=0, @D = 0, @E = 1, @F = 0;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

localhost.(none)>select greatest(@a,@b,@c), greatest(@d,@e,@f),
greatest(@a,@b,@c)+ greatest(@d,@e,@f) as total;
+--------------------+--------------------+-------+
| greatest(@a,@b,@c) | greatest(@d,@e,@f) | total |
+--------------------+--------------------+-------+
|                  3 |                  1 |     4 |
+--------------------+--------------------+-------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

localhost.(none)>create database test;
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

localhost.(none)>use test
Database changed
localhost.test>create table t1 (a int, b int, c int, d int, e int, f
int);
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.23 sec)

localhost.test>insert t1 values (1,3,0,0,1,0);
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.03 sec)

localhost.test>select greatest(a,b,c), greatest(d,e,f),
greatest(a,b,c)+ greatest(d,e,f) as total from t1;
+-----------------+-----------------+-------+
| greatest(a,b,c) | greatest(d,e,f) | total |
+-----------------+-----------------+-------+
|               3 |               1 |     4 |
+-----------------+-----------------+-------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

localhost.test>select greatest(a,b,c)+ greatest(d,e,f)+
greatest(d,e,f) as total from t1;
+-------+
| total |
+-------+
|     5 |
+-------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Can you provide a more complete test case?
Can you tell us which version of MySQL you are using?

He asked this in the Newbie forum last month. The column is Enum, with
whose ambiguities Greatest() can produce odd-looking arithmetic ...

drop table if exists t;
create table t(i enum('2','1','3'), j enum('5','2','8') );
insert into t values('1','1');
select greatest(i,j) from t;
+---------------+
| greatest(i,j) |
+---------------+
| 5             |
+---------------+
select greatest(i+0,j+0) from t;
+-------------------+
| greatest(i+0,j+0) |
+-------------------+
|                 2 |

PB

Thanks Peter!

Yes, using ENUMS instead of actual numeric values can easily make everything act weird. Sometimes you see the position within the ENUM of the matching value, sometimes you see the value. It all depends on how you reference the column:

For everyone else, remember: ENUM is a way to store only a specific set of string values into a column. We even document how confusing it can be if you attempt to work with it as a set of numeric constants.
Quoting from http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/enum.html

--
Shawn Green
Oracle USA, Inc. - Integrated Cloud Applications & Platform Services

Become certified in MySQL! Visit https://www.mysql.com/certification/ for details.