On 12/2/2016 16:59, Martin Mueller wrote:
I have been trying repeatedly and in vain to install the community edition of
MySQL 5.7.16 on an iMac running OS sierra.  I religiously followed the
instructions for uninstalling previous versions found at
http://community.jaspersoft.com/wiki/uninstall-mysql-mac-os-x, and installation
progresses smoothly and terminates successfully.  Bu the attempt to start the
server produces the error message  :
ERROR! MySQL server PID file could not be found!

Is http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4444861/pid-error-on-mysql-server-start helpful?

PB

-----

I have tried this and that, looking at advice on the Web, which is plentiful
but not always. Nothing works.

I have installed Postgresql, about which I know very little. But the
installation proceeded smoothly, and turning the server on and off works like a
charm.

Is it a reasonable conclusion that MySQl and OS 10 just don’t like each other
very much and that a prudent man is better off with some other database? The
MySQL documentation is not very helpful in the sense that following it doesn’t
produce good results.