On 12/3/2016 14:23, Martin Mueller wrote:
I abandoned a MySQL 5.22 database

There's been 5.0m 5,1, 5,4 (briefly), 5.5, 5.6 and now 5.7. No 5,.2.

  that quite suddenly andthat I wasn’t able to start up again. The data
directory consists of a mix of ISAM and Inno tables.

You mean MyISAM?

   I  was able to copy the ISAM tables into a new 5.6 version, and they work.

I understand that INNO tables are different because different tables share a
common table space.

Not just that.

  The MySQL documentation refers to a “cold backup,” where you copy the
separate files after a “slow shutdown.”  It doesn’t tell you what to do with
them after you’ve put them in a “safe place.”

This refers to https://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql-backup-excerpt/5.7/en/innodb-backup.html? Copy into identical folders on the new machine, or to corresponding folders named in a new my.cnf.

In my case, I can reproduce Time machine backups of data directories at varying
times. At one point I was able to replace the non-working installation with an
earlier installation, but then it failed unpredictably.

Are the Inno tables on Time Machine useless, or can I rescue data from them?

Mysqlbackup (Enterprise) and Percona Xtrabackup are known to do reliable hot backups.

PB

-----

I’ll be grateful for help