We would need to know what operating system you are using, that would be
helpful in telling you what steps to take to fix it.

Make sure that you put a space and a & after that command so that you don't
get your terminal stuck.

As for your problem of starting the darn thing, there are two possiblities
I can think of, you might be suffering from one or both (these suggestions
assume that you are using Linux, since that is what I know, so if you are
not, tough cookies for not telling what you are using):

1.  I would say that it seems like you installed it with a tar file, and it
didn't make properly.  I would install with an rpm if you can, and you are
using an outdated version anyway, so it is suggestable.

2.  I can't say I can recognize the missing file, but if it is not from
MySQL, it is most likely from a GNU C library or some other vitally
important operating system library, since hose are the only other things
that the MySQL server depends on.  If you have been screwing with those
files or if they have been corrupted, I'm surprised that you aren't having
otehr problems.  If you have a Linux Rescue Disk or your installation CD,
you may be able to copy missing files directly off of there or extract them
from an rpm on the CD.  You will also be able to download updated versions
of RPMs for your libraries from the RedHat site or another Linux packager.

--On Saturday, June 23, 2001 09:27 +0100 Tomas Norre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hello.. Friends
>
> I have just installed my OpenBSD 2.9 with mysql 3.23.37 and when i wanted
> to startet i can do it first time, but if i have to restart the server. I
> cannot start it again, why?
>
> i come with this error.
>
> w3# safe_mysqld
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: my_print_defaults: libpthread.so.14.20: No such file
> or directory
> Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/mysql
> 010622 17:20:08  mysqld ended
>

> From Tomas

William M. Quarles

Vice Pres, Society of Physics Students
Jr. Warden, Canterbury Episcopal Campus Ministry
James Madison University

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

* This e-mail was sent using Mulberry, JMU's new official e-mail client.