hey bob,

thanks for getting back to me - here's the full set up....

i have a pc running windows98, apache, php and mysql. it sits on our
ethernet network and i connect to it via my mac using the ip address i have
set up in the network control panel on the pc. i use the mac for building
and the pc for web serving/ testing.

first error to report: when i start up from the command line, change into
the mysql/bin directory and type:

mysqld --standalone

i get the error 'can't initialise InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not
set'. however, this doesn't seem to effect the general running of mysql.

i created a data base with the mysqladmin programme called 'test'. i then
create a host, user and password by typing the following at the mysql
prompt:

use mysql

insert into user (host, user, password) values ('192.168.254.204', 'jake',
password('twentyeight');

i then exited and used the mysqladmin to flush-privileges and tried to
connect to the database using a simple php page which checks the connection
and then use's it to connect to the test database. this all works.

then i created a 2nd database called 'guest' to start developing a guestbook
mysql backend with a php front end.

when i try to connect to this using the same host, user, password my php
test script seems to connect and cant find or connect to the database.

from what i have read and the responses i have had, it seems you have to
re-enable the host, user and password for the new databases you create but
the code that people are kindly offering up seems to have different commands
in it and to be truthful my skills are not advanced enough to full
understand how to enter it correctly.

any more info that people can chuck my way would be great.

cheers,

jake

on 25/6/01 4:03 pm, R Talbot at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi Jake,
>
> Your problem appears similar to a problem I had but...
> you aren't providing quite enough information..
> Are you working as a user on the same local host or
> are connecting across a network?
> To eliminate a MySQL problem ( so you can concentrate
> your efforts on PHP code) try to connect directly from
> the command line with MySQL as follows..
> #root$ > mysql yourdatabasename -h hostname -u username -p password
>
> You can eliminate -h and -p if your on the same machine without
> password.
>
> See if this will connect..
>
> BOb T

    28