From: Peter Matulis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2001 5:03 PM
To: Mysql (E-mail)
Subject: Odd problem issueing commands at the console

Just installed 3.23.37 on Red Hat 7.0 from source.  I've done this a few
times but this time I encountered a mysterious problem.

a) server is started and runs under my designated user (mysqladm:mysqlgrp)
b) /usr/local/mysql/bin is in PATH of both root and mysqladm
c) using either of these users, when I issue a mysql command (here
mysqlshow):

mysqlshow: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)

d) when I cd to /usr/local/mysql/bin and issue the command as shown it
succeeds:

$ ./mysqlshow
|  Databases  |
| mysql       |