Yes, I've read the docs on JOIN syntax, and search the list archives for
similar information.

I have this query:

SELECT leg_activity.activity_date, leg_transitions.trans_desc,
leg_text.leg_version, body_list.body_name
FROM (((leg_version_hist RIGHT JOIN (leg_comm_hist RIGHT JOIN leg_activity ON
leg_comm_hist.leg_activity_id = leg_activity.id)
ON leg_version_hist.leg_activity_id = leg_activity.id) LEFT JOIN leg_text ON
leg_version_hist.leg_text_id = leg_text.id)
INNER JOIN leg_transitions ON leg_activity.transition_id =
leg_transitions.id) LEFT JOIN body_list ON leg_comm_hist.body_list_id =
body_list.id
WHERE leg_activity.leg_header_id = 8

That was generated by Access's query designer.  It works under Access, but
passing to MySQL through ODBC, Access generates four or five queries to do
the job.  This make it a very long query (1 or 2 seconds), not appropriate
for browsing through records.

Trying to give this directly to MySQL generates an error:

You have an error in your SQL syntax near '(leg_comm_hist RIGHT JOIN
leg_activity ON leg_comm_hist.leg_ac' at line 2.

I understand JOIN's, at least in concept, but not well enough to construct
manually.  Is there a tool out there similar to Access's query designer that
will design MySQL compatible queries? Are there rules for convert Access
queries to MySQL that I should be aware of?

Thanks for any help you can give.

--
Joshua Kugler, Information Services Director
Associated Students of the University of Alaska Fairbanks