--- Colin Faber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ok,
>
> The message set that I noticed this morning sparked my interest in this.
>
> Currently I'm developing a search engine that will utilize mysql's
> fulltext match technology. The problem that i've run into is, I can't
> seem to find any documentation on how to force an AND search with in
> MATCH AGAINST syntax, As far as I can tell this is `OR' only. Has is
> there
> an option to force AND?

Sadly not. I've had the same trouble as you with this. It's mentioned
somewhere
(http://www.mysql.com/doc/F/u/Fulltext_Features_to_Appear_in_MySQL_4.0.html)
that this will be in v4; until then, no chance.

The way I do this is to split queries into words and do AND.

So to find charles dickens:

SELECT * FROM BOOK WHERE MATCH author AGAINST ('charles') AND MATCH author
AGAINST ('dickens')

If anyone knows how to make 'charles dickens' match simply fields
containing both those words, rather than one or the other (ordering by
score helps, but still the last results would be irrelevant), please
enlighten me.

=====