mysql fans,

I'm very new to mysql and adminstration of database software in
general.  I'm not clear as to how the permissions of mysql work,
specifically, there is a root user (on the database, not the system) which
has special privileges to perform certain tasks.  If I understand
correctly, other users can be added to allow for access to certain
databases.  Do applications I create use these users to connect to the
database and access certain tables?  How are these applications to manage
the usernames and passwords that control access to these tables?

Surely, passwords shouldn't be embedded into my applications on connection
statements to the mysql server, right?

The other question I have involves table creation, let's say I create a
table, is it easy to add more fields to that table with mysql?  Are there
any problems associated with performing this task?

Does anyone have any suggestions on basic administration and development
guides that are online to help me understand how things work?

thanks,

mohan