Short answer: yes, there is a way to set it up programatically.  Also, by
specify the driver, server, connect paramters, etc, you ca sometimes do a
DSN-less connection.  I do that with an ODBCDirect connection under Access.
It doesn't work, however, when I try to attach tables.

Look on http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp and look for their ODBC
API reference.  There should be something under there that will be helpful.
I used to have a link to a command call SQLConfigDataSource, but the link is
broken now.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/odbc/htm/dasdkodbcoverview.asp

Should get you started.  Sorry if it wrapped.

HTH.

--
Joshua Kugler, Information Services Director
Associated Students of the University of Alaska Fairbanks