I get Duplicate entry errors quite frequently. As a rule in these
cases, I check whether a record with this key exists, and in case
it does not, take action and insert the record. So there is a
minimal time lag, where by chance someone else may have inserted
exactly that record. Am I right?

Another explanation is that the key went wrong, and indeed in
most cases this is so, whence I get a number of such erros in a
row (I send myself an email automatically whenever an error
occurs so that I get to know it). But sometimes I get this error
in a single instance an ismchk finds no fault with the table.

The key in turn may turn wrong when error log says

mysqld process hanging, pid 28635 - killed

or

Aborted connection 34111 to db: 'pferdezeitung' user: 'pferdezeitung'

More about the latter if someone is interested. Anybody any
suggestions? I myself am clueless.

--
Herzlich
Werner Stuerenburg

ISIS Verlag, Teut 3, D-32683 Barntrup-Alverdissen
Tel 0(049) 5224-997 407 · Fax 0(049) 5224-997 409
http://pferdezeitung.de