A bit bizarre:
When I connect to MySQL through the localhost I have no problems; however
when I connect from a remote server I get the error "Can't initialize
character set 13 (path:default)  in ....

The localhost and the remote host both have versions of MySQL installed (the
remote host doesn't have the sjis charset set as its default, the localhost
does). However, it was my understanding that the remote host would use all
the functionality of the host it is connecting to.

I'm a bit confused by this error and it makes me think that I don't quite
fully understand what is going on when a remote connection is made. Any
clues? If so, please send a CC to my email address. TIA :-]

- anatole