----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Henderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2001 4:33 PM
Subject: MS IIS web logfiles

> How can I get mySQL to create a table for a IIS web logfile (*.log) ?  The
> file is very long (maybe 1 million records +) and there are 16 space
> separated data fields (17 if you include a autocount as primary key).   I
> know that MS Access has a GUI Wizard that walks you through the conversion
> of text files to an Access table.  Unfortunately, my data is much to large
> for MS Access (or a text reader).  I find no comparable facilitation with
> mySQL.  Any suggestions?

Well, unfortunately that's one of the trade-offs between a "database" like
Access and something more robust like MySQL. MySQL (and most other large
database packages) do not always have these GUI tools to facilitate
conversions and other operations.

Therefore, perhaps the best long-term solution for your need is to create a
VB program (or the language of your choice) to take a delimited text file
and put it into its own table in MySQL (or any other database really). As
long as you can access the file and know the delimiter (both of which are
possible with IIS log file), then this program should not be difficult to
put together.

Good Luck,

Dennis
Beridney Computer Services