using the old update logs I could look inside them and use the contents to
help debug dynamic SQL statements.

How do I do the same with the binary log?
I have tried
        mysqlbinlog hostname.001
but get
        ERROR: Could not read entry at offset 5 : Error in log format or
read error

The documentation says..
        mysqlbinlog hostname-bin.[0-9]* | mysql
however I do not want to pipe the output to mysql, just to STDOUT so that I
can examine it.

Is there any way of doing this?

Other things I have tried....

[mysql@data]$ mysqlbinlog --help
Usage: mysqlbinlog [options] log-files
-s,--short-form         just show the queries, no extra info
-o,--offset=N           skip the first N entries
-h,--host=server                get the binlog from server
-P,--port=port          use port to connect to the remove server
-u,--user=username      connect to the remove server as username
-p,--password=password  use this password to connect to remote server
-j,--position=N         start reading the binlog at postion N
-?,--help                       this message

[mysql@data]$ mysqlbinlog -s host-bin.001
ERROR: Could not read entry at offset 5 : Error in log format or read error

[mysql@data]$ mysqlbinlog -s -j 6 host-bin.001
ERROR: failed on my_fseek()

[mysql@data]$ mysqlbinlog -j 10 host-bin.001
ERROR: failed on my_fseek()

[mysql@data]$ mysqlbinlog --offset=100 host-bin.001
ERROR: Could not read entry at offset 5 : Error in log format or read error

[mysql@data]$ mysqlbinlog --offset=100 -j 110 host-bin.001
ERROR: failed on my_fseek()

Thanks in advance,

Robin Keech
www.dialogue.co.uk

Dialogue Communications (Estd. 1994) is a world leader in the development
and implementation of mobile data and internet messaging solutions. The
company's technology bridges the gap between the fixed and mobile worlds -
delivering carrier class platforms to both service providers and enterprise
customers around the globe.