Hi,

I have been using mysql fine on a win32 box.. but have now also installed it on Linux
box.  The version details are below:

Red Hat Linux release 6.0 (Hedwig)
Kernel 2.2.5-15smp

I am using this version of mySQL:

mysqladmin  Ver 5.3 Distrib 3.20.32a, for pc-linux-gnu on i686
TCX Datakonsult AB, by Monty

Server version          3.20.32a
Protocol version        9
Connection              Localhost via UNIX socket
TCP port                3306
UNIX socket             /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
Uptime:                 17 hours 9 min 15 sec

I can log in as root no problem but some of the functions dont seem to be working.
Check the following example:

mysql> use mysql;
ERROR: parse error near 'use mysql' at line 1

Although if I login selecting the mySQL database and enter a SELECT statement it seems
to work without any problems..

mysql> select * from user;
2 rows in set (0.02 sec)

+-----------+------+----------+-------------+-------------+-------------+-------
------+-------------+-----------+-------------+---------------+--------------+--
---------+
| Host      | User | Password | Select_priv | Insert_priv | Update_priv | Delete
_priv | Create_priv | Drop_priv | Reload_priv | Shutdown_priv | Process_priv | F
ile_priv |
+-----------+------+----------+-------------+-------------+-------------+-------
------+-------------+-----------+-------------+---------------+--------------+--
---------+
| localhost | root |          | Y           | Y           | Y           | Y
      | Y           | Y         | Y           | Y             | Y            | Y
         |
| localhost |      |          | N           | N           | N           | N
      | N           | N         | N           | N             | N            | N

+-----------+------+----------+-------------+-------------+-------------+-------

Or if I try to create a new DB from the monitor I get this error:

mysql> create database testdb;
ERROR: parse error near 'database testdb' at line 1

But when I carry out the same task using mysqladmin it works fine:

[root@monty mysql]# mysqladmin create testdb
Database "testdb" created.

I am assuming that the server is configured incorrectly in some way..

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jon.