database enthusiasts,

I'm fairly new to database administration and development, I'm currently
still learning about features of databases so that I can ensure that my
design for the database that I create will be correct.  I will be storing
general pieces of information in an index table that will store an ID #,
which I wish to be incremented as more people are added to the index, the
ID # should start with 0.  The index will also contain information like
their name, the date of the last visit to the construction site, and how
many total days they have worked.  One thing I'm not clear about is the
notion of a "primary key".  Is this provided just to allow for faster
SQL calls that access records using that primary key?  Does specifying a
primary key provide for more functionality in any way?

Another table keeps track of the number of hours worked in the current
day, the location that work was performed, and the expected time to
completion for the day.  This data is updated frequently for each person.

Is there anyway to allow for all data in this specific table to
automatically disappear as a result of removing a work from the more
general database?

mohan